Monday, March 15, 2010

Artist Statement:

The question for me as always been, “What comes first, the color or the form?” For the majority of my artistic endeavors form always came first and the color came as a result of that form. I would create the form and color it in, so to speak, with its local color. I then came to the conclusion that I am not doing the world of color any justice. I feel as an artist I have a duty and a responsibility to represent color.
It is a scientific fact that color affects us both mentally and physically. Based on this I use colors that affect me in certain ways and display them in a way that instigates a reaction from the viewer. It could be an emotional reaction such as happiness or anger, or even a physical reaction such hot or cold.
My fascination with color began a series of color field paintings. I began doing small scale geometric paintings using two to five colors. I choose the color based on how they affect one another. My goal is to make the colors dance on the canvas. I then moved on to a larger scale and traded in acrylics for oils.
Most recently I have started working with used clothing. Any color, print, or texture that catches my eye is used in creating wall hangings. Reminiscent of the geometric paintings, I still use mainly squares and triangles. With the wall hangings there is much more than just a color relationship being created but also a story. Each item of clothing tells a story and when combined can tell a multitude of stories spanning across generations. These works also require a reaction from the viewer as they allow for them to connect in a more personal and permanent way.
My work has come to be based on nostalgia. My intent is that viewers can revisit their past brought on by a color, a print or a specific texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment