Monday, February 8, 2010

Mobile Me

The idea behind my project stemmed from my emotional responses to technology, and thus how it physically effects me. I realized that technology, namely my cell phone, creates within me a panic button. This "panic button" is set off whenever I try to reach someone on the phone and they do not answer. For some reason my cell phone, this inanimate object (in its simplest state), allows me to feel as though I can reach whomever I want, whenever I want; and if I can't reach them then something is wrong. The "panic" sets in almost literally. My mind reels with worry, and my heart begins to race. This emotional and physical response is so unnecessary and stands right on the edge between normalcy and psychosis!

The materials I decided to use were the "guts" of old telephones, severed phone cords and lines, telephone jack plate cover, a used floral printed blouse, and red thread. Each of these materials served a specific purpose and holds a particular meaning.

The blouse was the hardest element in that it was to be the backdrop and frame for the "guts." At first, I thought the shirt choice was secondary, as the focal point was the "guts." However, the softness of the floral design and the material itself created a nice juxtaposition between itself and the hard lines of the electronic pieces. The insides of the telephones became more a part of the blouse, and are almost camouflaged by the color and pattern, emphasizing the point that our technology becomes so embedded in our lives that we can no longer see our lives without it.

The layout of the "guts" and other materials is loosely based on the organization of our internal organs. I have represented the heart, lungs, and kidneys, as well as veins and arteries. On the back of the blouse I used the inner wires of a phone cord to represent the spinal cord. With this design I am implying that the cell phone has become a part of us, and we have become a part of the cell phone. One cannot function without the other. The cell phone is physically and emotionally attached to us. Our cell phones give us a feeling of always being "plugged in" and connected to our loved ones. But it gives us a false sense of security by allowing us to think we can reach them at anytime. So, what happens when we can't? For me, it generates an emotional and physical response that I am sure is taking years off my life.

I am still trying to figure out the best way of going about the "interaction" part of this assignment. I'm not the most assertive person, and because of the nature of my design it requires me to approach people and get their reactions. So, I have come up with some questions to hopefully get the ball rolling:

Q1. How do you use technology on a daily basis?
Q2. Has technology made your life easier, or more complicated?
Q3. Are you able to ever "get away from it all," or does technology make it difficult?
Q4. Do you feel your cell phone is a nuisance?
Q5. Is your cell phone your "lifeline"?
Q6. Do you spend less time with your friends face-to-face because you have a cell phone?
Q7. How would you feel without your cell phone?
Q8. Can you recall a time that your cell phone caused a specific emotional or physical response from you?

Here is one person's responses:

A1. I use technology mainly for work.
A2. Technology has made my life more complicated. It is difficult to take a vacation, or enjoy a weekend. I receive e-mail from work seven days a week.
A3. Technology makes it difficult to leave work and responsibilities behind.
A4. Yes, at times. At other times it is a welcome interruption.
A5. No. I feel I am connected to my loved ones in other ways (spiritually).
A6. I talk with friends less because of e-mail. I have more conversations on the cell phone than I do face-to-face.
A7. I think I would like it. The only negative would be not having access to my family, but we would have more to talk about when we saw each other.
A8. If I am used to talking to someone everyday and I call and they don't answer, especially late at night, I can get very worried.

More responses to come...and pictures (once I figure out how to put them on the computer)...

No comments:

Post a Comment